Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Run, Forrest, Run (part II)

Today, I ran 3.1 miles, something I have never done before. 3.1 miles is a 5K. Don't get me wrong...I've participated in a couple of 5K races, but I've never run the entire way...until today!

I completed my first 5K in August 2009, with a time of 53 minutes. I ran a little and walked a lot.

The second 5K was in October 2009, and I completed that in 48 minutes. I ran a little more, but still walked a whole lot.

Today, I wasn't competing in a race. My Nike+ training program told me to run 3 miles, so I just added on the extra tenth of a mile, to try and compare it to my prior efforts.

My time was still sucky, but now I'm down to 43 minutes! That's 5 mins off my last race. I'm so happy, especially knowing that I didn't push myself. I'm sure by the end of the 12 weeks, I should be able to finish in under 40. I'll probably be able to do that way sooner than that.

My sister-in-law is my racing role model. She was the one who started me out in the whole running thing, and she also got me to join the running club back in September (if only the club folks could see me now!). I think now I'm physically ready to re-join the club, but I'm not mentally ready yet. It takes a lot for someone like me to be able to run with others. I hate running at other peoples' pace. It drives me nuts, because it's always either too fast or too slow. So until I start being more patient, I'll be running by myself.

I do want to do a 5K at the end of this training program, to check my progress. Technically, I'll be ready for a 10K, after running 7 miles in one day at one point. But baby steps, people, baby steps.

Friday, I tack one more mile on. Last time I walk/ran 4 miles in one day, it took me about an hour and a half. This time I'll be shooting for under an hour. I'll have the whole weekend to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment