Sunday, February 14, 2010

Last Chance Workout

Ouch. It hurts to walk.

This is probably due to my over-eagerness to sweat off as much as I can before tomorrow's impending weigh-in. I've picked up this trick from my new favorite show, The Biggest Loser. They call these, "Last Chance Workouts." I call them, "Hell on Earth."

This morning, I did one hour of spinning class, then ran two miles. For those of you who may not be familiar with spinning, it's this bicycling workout that lasts an hour, and burns up to 1200 calories an hour. When you're done, your legs feel like jello.

I'll admit, I'm a little obsessive sometimes when it comes to working out. This has been my downfall over the years. I get all gung-ho about the latest fitness trend, furiously engage for a given time period (usually ranging from two weeks to a month), then burn myself out and never set foot in a gym for the next three months. During those three months, I'll overindulge in Wild Cherry Pepsi and mozzarella sticks, until I get sick of gaining weight and move onto the next fitness craze. I've belonged to six different health clubs, numerous martial arts dojos, and Weight Watchers throughout the course of my journey. But this time will be different.

I wouldn't blame anyone for being skeptical...every time I've been serious about losing weight has been "different." Everything runs smoothly until I get into my own head. Oh my God, I can't keep this up for the rest of my life, I always end up thinking. But this time, much like The Little Engine that Could, I think I can.

Now, I've figured out my inner workings...in order not to get bored, I need to constantly modify my workout. While the running remains a fixture in my life, I'm progressively adding distance, to keep myself motivated.

While I love Zumba, I am reducing the frequency of my sessions, opting to alternate it with spinning, every other day. Maybe in a few months, I'll try LA Boxing. On my next birthday, I plan to try indoor rock climbing.

I'm always down for something new. But first, I need to get the feeling back in my legs...

(P.S. Happy Valentine's Day. Tomorrow, I hope to post a new pic, as well as weigh-in data.)

No comments:

Post a Comment